A favorite quote:

Make play a high priority in your life for if you die tomorrow no one can play for you, but someone can and will do your work for you!!!" Ken Beebe (Dr. Play)

Saturday, January 10, 2009

What its all about...

So I (Neil) and Traci have been working out for quite some time now, and we have also been involved with a popular diet plan for 5 months as well. We both have made quite the sacrifice in stuff we do, time we spend relaxing, money output etc, and personal pain for the sake of our health and fitness.

Personally I go to the gym 3 days a week at 5:30 in the morning and get my butt kicked by a tiny little firecracker of a trainer. I run at least 2 times a week, anywhere from 5 to 10k at a time (usually in a snowstorm it seems) and I eat portion controlled meals and lots of fruit and vegetables. I don't drink anymore, I don't smoke, I'd rather stay home on Saturday night than go out most times. I do the speed limit now and I wait in the long line of traffic rather than go into the on ramp than back into traffic 6 cars further up the road.



I have lost 60 lbs in the last 14 months, My pants have gone from a 44 to a 36, my neck has gone form an 18 1/2 to a 16 1/2, I ran 10k in 1hr on New Years Day, I can do unlimited sit-ups, lots of push ups and can now do chin-ups quite well. I belong to a gym that I will never leave, its a place where people have gone 3 days a week for decades!

Why...?

Why would I put myself through the sacrifice and pain...?

What would motivate me...?

What could be an end goal so powerful to keep my pushing forward...?



This.

All of a sudden, yesterday, January 9, 2009, at a place called Let's Play, it all made sense. Traci and I took Andrew to an indoor playground for some fun. the place has a toddler area for 3 and under but Andrew just gets bored in there. He is staring longingly toward the 4 story play structure right beside us... so... we... go!

Andrew is insane, zipping up and down the ramps, running and crawling up levels and slides and tearing it up in the ball pits, diving through little tunnels and jumping up and down on mats! guess who is right behind him doing all this stuff? Traci and I!

All the hard work and effort over the last 14+ months just paid off with the greatest reward we could ever have imagined. We got to play with our son. We weren't panting and wheezing, we fit everywhere we needed to go and it was an absolute BLAST!

Yay for us.

No comments: