A favorite quote:

Make play a high priority in your life for if you die tomorrow no one can play for you, but someone can and will do your work for you!!!" Ken Beebe (Dr. Play)

Saturday, April 10, 2010

NOT a clue…

They say that baseball players are the only profession that rewards the least amount of failure. 3 out 10 times up to bat with a hit is a successful, if not hall of fame career. Do weatherman have a hall of fame? what would the lack of success percentages be for entry into this hall? 1 right answer in a  career? maybe if you make a good guess, and get close to the right forecast a couple times you get to be coach! My guess is it doesn’t snow at all. Am I a meteorologist now? where can I pick up my check… anyhow…

It’s just that our livelihood is very dependant on the weather, so we tend to pay close attention to the ‘best guess’ profession. Anyone have a Ouija board I can borrow?

snow forecast

4 comments:

JaTexas said...

I have noted your weather guesscast posts of this week and feel a need to explain just HOW hese forward guesses are derived at. I know something about weather as I have been caught out in it many times in my lifetime. Weather persons, gather each day on a patio, deck, rooftop or by secret chat room and vote. There must be 10 of them to be accurate. The guess resluts in a 10-100% chance of any weather event, however! They to date have not figured out if A- 20% chance of snow means that 20% of the forecast area will see snow, B- 1 in 20 of the places will see snow, C- all of the area will be covered by 20% of snow OR...only two of them showed up for the meeting. Thus the accuracy may be 100% correct for those two it is the other 80% that gets us covered in the white stuff, rain, tornado or a 20' tide surge.

See....that is why I don't go outside. Remember they are very good at telling you what the weather was yesterday...we are just living too far ahead of the technology.

I may have just lost all of my weather forecaster friends but hey, I have plenty of company.

ANT-zee said...

Weather forecasters have friends?

Happy Dan said...

The problem seems to be in your expectations. You are expecting a forecast when you are being given a horoscope...

ANT-zee said...

...that makes me feel WAY better Happy Dan...