A favorite quote:

Make play a high priority in your life for if you die tomorrow no one can play for you, but someone can and will do your work for you!!!" Ken Beebe (Dr. Play)

Friday, November 13, 2009

A Helicopter…

…has got to be the COOLEST way to get to work I have ever seen. Even a really cheap Helicopter is cooler than the most expensive car for commuting.

the guy who flies this helicopter to work owns an excavation company that share the offices of a vendor of ours. I was leaving their office today and just decided to take a picture of the whirlybird sitting on the landing pad, when the owner came out, started it up and took off.

It was pretty surprising to me what it sounded like when he fired it up. Have you ever heard a large tractor starting? It was just like that, including the sound of the starter.   

Imagine your car on a cold morning - RrrrrRRRrrrrrRRRrrrrrrrrrrr,  sputter sputter, cough, brrrrrr, sputter, cough… brrrrmmmmm…. *engine stalls*… rrrrRRRRRRrrrrrrRRRRrrrrrRRRRrrrrrRRRrrr, cough sputter, cough, brrrrrrRRRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, Sputter…. brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr chug chug….. This thing shakes like crazy too! It looked like it was going to shake right off the pad before he could get the thing warmed up enough to leave.

CIMG0173

It’s just a normal gas engine in the thing.  I thought for sure it would be a turbine or something… Anyway, he lets it run for about a minute and off he goes. Only thing is, his left rear door is open.

CIMG0178

huh. I thought maybe it was on purpose, but I think it opened when it was shaking violently trying to warm up. So he lift off with the door flapping in the wind and he disappears behind the building.

Look at those blades bending… I’m not sure I would get in that thing…CIMG0179CIMG0182

I take off around the corner in the truck and I am looking all over the sky to see where he went. I couldn’t see him anywhere, and I thought that was kind of weird as he wasn’t going that fast. Oh well.

heh. I had to laugh. I spotted him taking off again from a stubble field about a half mile away where he landed to get out and shut his rear door. LOL. have you ever done that? pulled over on the shoulder of the road to shut the rear door of your car that wasn’t closed the whole way? Kind of takes the mystique out of helicopter ownership doesn’t it… haha!

Pic of the day, Andrew got new boots, can you see them in this picture? IMG_7651

No comments: