A favorite quote:

Make play a high priority in your life for if you die tomorrow no one can play for you, but someone can and will do your work for you!!!" Ken Beebe (Dr. Play)

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Runners are truly an inspirational bunch…

Thank you to everyone who commented with such kind words and encouragement… It’s still amazing to me that all this started with the birth of our child 22 months ago. Traci and I together made the choice to change our lives to help our son be the best he can by trying to be the best we can be, and in the process we have met the most incredible people. I can’t say enough about fitness and the opportunities it affords us. I have the privilege of being Traci’s Husband and Andrews Father, and on top of it all, I have an amazing group of people that I am honoured to call my friends… Thank you all!

Hi Neil

We’ve read your story.  Thanks for sharing it with us.  I think it's great to read or hear a runner's perspective on their run.  It’s great to hear what their thoughts are during the run because I  also thought to myself “why am I doing this?”  Make sure you save this for your child(ren) to read. You did awesome - just remember that you went from a non-runner to a half marathon runner in just 6-7 short months.  Plus, I really felt the heat and there wasn’t a whole lot of shade on Memorial so I’m thinking by the time you were going through there, it had to be smokin’ hot.    So, congratulations, great time, great run.  Hope your toe is better. P.S.  Neil, Neil, Neil – just saw that you signed up for the Kelowna Half – might you be in the addicted category? So and So has signed up for the Half Clinic at Glenmore – not sure when her goal race is but it must be pretty close to yours so there’s a running partner for you.

Neil,

I really enjoyed reading your blog today, it brought back a flood of memories from my first marathon. Although I think I was prepared physically to run it, mentally I was not, little things like thinking the half way mark was the turn around point and then realizing that it was actually another 5km down the road, around the bend over the hill......., then watching the elite runners zoooom past me in the other direction like they were running a 100m dash.... and wondering how that was possible. After training for almost 6 months and never once did I get a blister or have any problems with my feet, it rained on race day in Victoria ( go figure!!!!) and I developed a blister.......Then wanting desperately to curl up on the side of the road at the 32km mark and die.The list goes on of course, however despite all the negatives it was an amazing experience. It was a great learning experience as I am sure you will agree.You have come a very long way my friend and have achieved a great thing, Enjoy!!!!! Congrats,

Well done!  The toe is gross!how’s the legs today?

Neil – you are a rock!  That is absolutely amazing that you felt that awful and yet were able to pull through with such an excellent time.  You must feel very proud of your achievement.  How does the body feel today?I am signed up for the ½ clinic at the Glenmore RR starting next week.  I prefer long to fast but I suppose at some point I am going to have to get to the fast part.I really enjoyed that little hill at the end yesterday – felt so lovely after my “episode”. (Ed.note - She puked) My Husband ran his first marathon in Eugene at the beginning of May.  Somehow I was able to run about 20k that day – pacing with him for about 8k and then his buddy to the finish and then back to my car.  It felt amazingly easy – that day.  Running is funny. Never the same twice. I agree with the unstructured training – these past couple of months have felt rather loosey goosey.  It takes away from your confidence somewhat on race day. You are my hero! (Ed. Note, aww shucks…)

I am soooo proud of you!  Way to gut it out!  And VERY nice toe.  That is a badge of honor

Hey Neil,
Congrats! I am very proud of you. Too bad So and So could not have been with you.  I hope you continue with the running. (Ed. Note – So and So got injured after 6 months of training for this race, her first half marathon. Really a shame, but she will knockem dead in the next one!)

Congratulations!!! Just think of the example you're setting for your boy...and that nasty looking toe will be worth it...unless of course it turns black and falls off...BUT...even then...you'll still have completed the race..and sometimes personal satisfaction is necessary...with or without a toe!

Way to go!!! What an accomplishment. You finished about the same time as my gazelle of a running partner.

I felt the exact same way when I climbed my first mountain, except that I cried. It is always an awesome thing to do the impossible. Way to go! (Ed. Note – She has cystic fibrosis, so climbing that mountain was a WAY bigger deal than running a race. She has since summited again)

No comments: